In Bihar, 11 people have died after drinking illegal liquor and 12 people are seriously ill. (representative)
New Delhi: In Saran district of dry Bihar, 11 people have died and 12 have become seriously ill, many of them blind, after consuming poisoned liquor. According to District Magistrate Rajesh Meena and Superintendent of Police Santosh Kumar, five persons have been arrested for their alleged involvement in the manufacture and sale of hooch, while the SHO of the concerned police station and the local watchman have been suspended.
A team of police, excise and medical officers were dispatched to the spot and the sick were admitted to the said hospital. Those whose condition worsened were admitted to PMCH Hospital in Patna. Nine people died during treatment at Patna Medical College and Hospital, one was cremated at a private health facility and another person was cremated before the authorities came to know about the incident.
It has come to light that there is a tradition of drinking alcohol in villages during the festival in the Hindu calendar month of Shravan. According to officials, the festival was organized on August 3 when local people consumed poisoned liquor.
The SHO and watchman have been suspended and departmental action initiated against them for failing to take note of local custom and take preventive action, a senior official said. The Nitish Kumar government had completely banned the sale and consumption of liquor in Bihar in April 2016.
However, there have been several hooch tragedies in the state since November last year in which more than 50 people have died.
(with input from ANI)
Also Read: Chris Hemsworth Praises CWG Gold Medalist Mirabai Chanu ‘She Deserves Thor’s Hammer’