Manchester United manager Erik ten Haag has reiterated his stance that Cristiano Ronaldo will remain at Old Trafford despite the five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s desire for Champions League football.
Ronaldo missed most of United’s pre-season preparations after the club excused him from the tour of Asia and Australia for family reasons.
CWG 2022 – Full Coverage | Deep | India Focus | out of the field | In the photo Medals tally
The 37-year-old made his return last weekend in a 1-1 friendly draw against Rayo Vallecano. However, he again made headlines for leaving Old Trafford before the end of the game.
Ten Haag described the action as “unacceptable”, but also rounded on the media for focusing on Ronaldo when other players left the stadium before full-time.
“I told you before, we plan the season (with him). We have a top striker and I’m really happy he’s here, he’s in the squad and we’re sticking to that plan,” Ten Haag told a pre-match press conference ahead of his first competitive game as United boss at home to Brighton. sunday
“There were many players who left, but the spotlight is on Cristiano and it’s not fair.
“I am satisfied with the whole team. There is a good culture and Cristiano is working really hard and hard.
After a disastrous campaign that saw United finish sixth in the Premier League last season, a squad overhaul was expected in the summer.
Paul Pogba, Edinson Cavani, Jesse Lingard, Nemanja Matic and Juan Mata have left after their contracts expire, but the Red Devils start the season with just three new signings – Lisandro Martinez, Tyrell Malacia and Christian Eriksen.
Barcelona’s long pursuit of midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who previously starred under Ten Haag at Ajax, has so far been fruitless.
“It’s about the right players,” added Ten Hag of the relative lack of transfer activity. “I cannot comment on a player under contract at another club. We will bring the news when we have it.”
Read on breaking news And Headlines here