Last update: August 06, 2022, 20:19 IST
McLaren has told Daniel Ricciardo that fellow Australian Oscar Piastre will replace him at the Formula One team next season, according to media reports on Friday. The website http://www.racingnews365.com quoted Australian sources as saying that Ricciardo had been officially informed. His “de-hiring”.
Autosport said it understood Ricciardo had been told at McLaren that he would be replaced by 21-year-old Piastre, who this week turned down a 2023 seat at Renault-owned Alpine, despite having a contract for next year. McLaren did not comment on a story that has gripped Formula One since the start of the August break.
Multiple sources have confirmed to Reuters, however, that Piastre has been lined up to replace the underperforming Ricciardo. In the end, McLaren paid Ricciardo not to race for them. 2020 but, apart from winning the Italian Grand Prix last year, has failed to live up to the expectations of the former champions.
He has scored just 19 points this season, including sixth, compared to teammate Lando Norris’ 76 from 13 races. Racingnews365.com reports that Piastre signed a deal with McLaren at last Saturday’s Hungarian Grand Prix and has since filed it with Team Sport’s Contracts Approval Board.
Alpine, who have invested heavily in Piastre as a reserve driver, announced the Australian as their driver on Tuesday only for him to take to social media to oppose them.” I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 has issued a late press release. This afternoon I am driving for them next year,” he said in a statement that immediately went viral.
“It is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not drive for Alpine next year.”
Read on breaking news And Headlines here