North Korea registers 296,180 new suspected COVID cases, 15 more deaths: report
North Korea reported 296,180 more people with fever symptoms, with 15 more deaths, state news agency KCNA said on Sunday, amid the country’s first COVID-19 outbreak.
State media KCNA said a total of 42 people died, including 820,620 cases and at least 324,550 under medical treatment.
Leader Kim Jong Un has said the outbreak has caused “great upheaval” in North Korea.
KCNA reported that “all the provinces, cities and counties of the country have been completely closed and the working units, production units and residential units have been closed from each other.”
Despite activating its “maximum emergency quarantine system” to slow the spread of the disease through its illiterate population, North Korea is now reporting a large number of new cases daily.
North Korea confirmed on Thursday that the highly contagious Omicron variant had been detected in the capital, Pyongyang, after Kim ordered a nationwide lockdown.
(with inputs from agencies)
Read all the latest news, breaking news and IPL 2022 live updates here.